Pampas grass control in Cantabrian Natura 2000 sites
As part of the Action C2 the mechanised elimination of the pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana) is being carried out on the coastal protected species of the Natura 2000 Network of Cantabria. These spaces include Special Protection Areas (SPA):
- Dunas de Liencres y estuarios del río Pas (ES1300004)
- Río Agüera (ES1300012)
- Marismas de Santoña, Victoria y Joyel (ES1300007)
- Rías occidentales y dunas de Oyambre (ES1300003)
- Dunas del Puntal y Estuario del Miera (ES1300005)
- Costa Central y Ría de Ajo (ES1300006)
Montehano quarry in Parque Natural de Marismas de Santoña, Victoria y Joyel
In January 2019 the forestry teams of AMICA, AMPROS, and SERCA started work to eliminate the pampas grass from the Special Conservation Area and Nature Reserve of the Marshes of Santoña, Victoria, and Joyel, precisely in the Montehano Quarry in the municipality of Escalante.
In addition to in the Nature Reserve of the Marshes of Santoña, Victoria, and Joyel work was also carried out to eradicate the pampas grass in the nature reserves of Oyambre, Liencres, and Costa Quebrada.
Project team erradicating pampas grass
The Serca nursery supplies native trees for restoration actions